Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kasabian - "Fire"

Upon meeting the most adorable Dublin Irishman on Thursday, I was introduced to the electronic rockers Kasabian. After listening to them for the first time, I feel guilty, or embarrassed, for not knowing them before.  They've been around since '97 for God's sake! The English natives from Leicester have produced four pretty badass albums that just seem to get better and better.

We might want to file them under indie rock, right? Wrong.  Lead song-writer for the band, Sergio Pizzorno makes it clear that Kasabian is not indie, "We've never been an indie band, you know, and I sort of fucking hate indie bands, I despise that speed of music." What they really are is "future rock". AllMusic gives a definition that I would say is thoroughly on point for these guys and perhaps the future of rock: "...the band's foundation remained rooted in swaggering, fragmented dance textures and boisterous rock & roll."

I thought this video for "Fire" was pretty sick, but if you want to see what it would be like to rock out to them live, check out their video for "Underdog", their most famous track.  I strongly recommend their most recent two albums, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (2007) and Velociraptor! (2011).



No comments:

Post a Comment